Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Junior High

Today was the second day of 7th grade. In Arizona, that's the grade that junior high starts in. So, things certainly changed for me. I have been going to Neely Elementary since kindergarten when we moved from MA to AZ, but now it's, like, bye-bye Neely. Yeah. So I got up at 6:30, got ready, ate scrambled eggs, and went off for my new adventure.
I was mortified for that day for a really, really long time. But it wasn't that bad. I got lost two or three times, but I was mostly on time, and it's not like I'd get in trouble on the first day anyway. It was super crowded with nervous 7th graders and not-quite-as-nervous 8th graders.
I am just going to say about my Honors science class (1st period). It was AWESOME!!!! So I walk in yesterday, and mostly everybody is there, except for the teacher, Ms./Mrs. Crowell (not sure which). When she did come in, late, she is wearing one of those, I dunno, hiking outfits, with the handkerchief around her neck, a tank-topish thing, a loose black jacket, ponytail, and a small pack on her back. She burst into the room and ran from door to door, peering out the windows and acting totally... in dunno the word. Anxious. Nervous. Excited. Full of energy. A mix of that plus more. Then she says, "Haven't you seen them? They're everywhere! You guys are so brave to be here!" (And written on the board is "Welcome, Paleontologists!") We're just all, Okay, um, whatever. She keeps saying stuff like that, and then talking about some guy Allen. She brings out a walkie-talkie and pretends to talk to Allen on it. ("Where are you?! What are you doing?!) So basically she was starting off 7th grade with some Jurassic Park thing. It was awesome. We pretended the school was the lab or park or whatever, and we watched "footage" (really a part of the movie) to try and figure out what Allen (who was really a guy in the movie) was doing. Then we teamed up and used scientific stuff to "solve" where he was and what he was doing, using a bag full of dinosaur stuff and other clues. It rocked. (Also, during attendance, she would say to some people, "Oh, yeah! Aren't you the one that found all that dinosaur DNA that helped clone them?" and stuff like that.)
Well yeah. I only have one class with one friend in it (Courtney Coates), so I guess I will have to make new friends. But I still like it and am hoping for a brilliant year!

2 comments:

jessie dryden said...

Jr. High is very scary, I admit. Yeah, i got lost all through out the year. Even two weeks before school ended. How many periods do you have?
Well, I'm still on summer break so I guess I'll know how you feel in a couple weeks!

Katie said...

8 periods.... except there is two of language arts, and i guess one is lunch.... so technically there is only 6 classes