Friday, June 25, 2010

Must-Reads

Here I have listed some of my favorite books ever (in no specific order).  If you had any wisdom, you would follow my advice and read them!

You most likely heard of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I am not a huge sci-fi fan, but this book is definitely a captivator.  It takes place in the ruins of North America in the future and is about a sixteen-year-old girl named Katniss.  There are twelve districts.  There was once a thirteenth, but it was destroyed by the Capitol after a revolt around a century earlier.  In reminder of the Capitol's power, the Hunger Games takes place once a year and one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen are randomly picked in each district and forced to enter.  The Hunger Games are watched live by everyone in the nation, and to win... you have to be the only survivor.  The next book is called Catching Fire with Mocking Jay comming out in August.
The Goose Girl is enchanting.  Shannon Hale weaves the story, based off the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale, together with words of gold.  It is about the Crown Princess Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee of Kildenree, who spent the first five years of her life listening to her aunt's tales.  There are three types of speaking gifts- animal speaking, people speaking, and nature speaking.  Ani learned from her aunt to speak with the animals, people speaking is dangerous, and the gift of nature speaking may no longer even exist.  Following The Goose Girl is the other Books of Bayern: Enna Burning, River Secrets, and Forest Born.
I am only half way through the first Work and the Glory book, Pillar of Light.  I will admit, it is harder to get into.  Even so, Gerald N. Lund has created a spectacular, moving story in the midst of a difficult time.  It is about the Steed family, a family who has just moved from their much-loved home in Vermont to Palmyra, New York.  They have never heard about a young man named Joseph Smith or the story that are floating around all of Palmyra. As I read, I realize what an amazing miracle it is that I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  The other books are Like a Fire is Burning, Truth Will Prevail, Thy Gold to Refine, A Season of Joy, Praise to the Man, No Unhallowed Hand, So Great a Cause, and All is Well.
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is another one of those books that hooks you from the beginning.  It is about
a twelve-year-old girl named Meggie who finds out that her father has the magical ability to pull characters out of books.  The next two in the trilogy are Inkspell and Inkdeath.

Other books I have said about before are The Book Thief and The Lightning Thief

No comments: