Sunday, July 11, 2010

Striving to Be Better

This morning I was just about to put the yogurt away so that I could sit down and eat my breakfast.  Eric was reaching up to grab the milk, when all of a sudden the one container of liquid that happened to be a carton that you fold the tab back (therefore lidless) crashed to the ground, splattering half-and-half everywhere.  "Eric!" we all shouted.
After getting it cleaned up (Eric tried to help, but you know a six-year-old naturally just can't do it perfectly), I though about it to myself.  We had immediately scolded him with harsh tones and treated him unfairly, while it had just had been an accident.  I apologized to him and explained that I was just shocked at the sudden big mess that I had to clean up.
After that I told myself that I would try to show more patience.  Not just that.  I want to lift others up and treat them like I want them to treat me.  Instead of looking upon things negatively, I want to be happy and positive.  As I was reflecting on the previous moments, the first line of the Primary song Love One Another popped up in my mind.  "If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?..."  There are many things all of us could use in improving us.  The better we can make our daily attitude, the stronger our testimonies will be and the more we will feel the Spirit.
I have been reading The Work and the Glory books.  There are nine books, and I just started the third yesterday.  I think they have changed me!  It is such a miracle that I was born into the church with an amazing family.  The early Saints faced so much!  Poverty, starvation, illness, persecution...  How could they do it?   I shall look at the life I have with gratitude!  While we were at Time to Blossom, John Bytheway was saying that the darker the back round is, the brighter the diamond will shine.  The same applies to all of us.  The more the world falls into Satan's traps and thrashes out at us to follow, the more the Children of God will stand out.  I know that I want to be a diamond, and being a better person in general will help me become one.

No comments: