Saturday, April 16, 2011

+100

  On Thursday I read an article about this man who had died that day.
  Just take a guess of how old he was.
  Okay, I'll tell you.  He was one hundred and fourteen years old.
  So the thoughts that flew through my head were that of shock and amazement.  What?!  That's even possible?!  I was born in 1996, and he was born in 1896.  Whew!  When I think of the future, I honestly find it really hard to think of myself as, I dunno, 40.  But 114?!  It just don't seem like that sort of thing would happen.
  Then the awe struck me even more when I realized that he saw it all!  He could have watched his parents as they sadly took the news of the San Francisco Earthquake.  He could have mourned over the sinking of the world's grandest ship, the RMS Titanic (which BTW struck the iceberg 99 years from that very night).  He could have signed up as a soldier in World War I, suffered the Flu Epidemic, grown rich in the '20's, struggled in the Great Depression, seen the world break into pieces for the second time in WWII... and that doesn't even include any of the major events that took place in the last seventy years of his life!  
  Perhaps I am so young, things like this are just too difficult to perceive.

1 comment:

jessie dryden said...

Wow that's crazy... I wanna live to be 114 :)